Welcome to Canterbury at Davidson College
Canterbury at Davidson is a community of Episcopalians and friends who gather weekly for worship, fellowship, and a home-cooked meal on Sunday afternoons. We welcome all students, faculty, and staff to our services: life-long Episcopalians, those looking for Christian community, and those who have lots of questions. We also have weekly Bible studies and regular service events both on campus and in the wider community.
Would you to like to become involved with Canterbury at Davidson, or maybe you have some questions?
Please contact Greg McIntyre, Episcopal Minister at Davidson College.
Canterbury Weekly Schedule of Events
- Canterbury Holy Eucharist
Sundays at 4:30
in the Oasis (top floor of the Union in the chaplain’s area near the stairs)
- A Movable Feast
Sunday’s at 5:30
In the Morcott Room of the Student Union (Room 302 by the big TV
- Bread for the Journey
Bible Study and Lunch
room 313 of the Union (near the cafe) Canterbury is a co-sponsor of this. The approach to reading scripture in this study grows out of the ways these traditions interpret the Bible using both a faithful, devotional heart and the kind of critical analysis that one might find in a classroom (taking into account things like historical and literary context, issues of the meaning of the original Greek text, the history of interpretation in various traditions, etc.).
- Morning Prayer
Monday - Thursday 8:45 - 9:20
in the Oasis (top floor of the Union in the chaplain’s area near the stairs) This is morning prayer from the Book of Common Prayer. We have silent prayer for the first 15 minutes and then begin with the spoken office. It’s a great way to center and ground the day.
Canterbury Meals Sign Up
Are you a St. Alban's parishioner and want to help provide a meal for the Canterbury Sunday worship? Please click the link below to sign up.
Recipient's Name: Students
Highlights of the past year:
- Thanks to the parishioners at St. Alban’s home cooked meals were provided every Sunday for the students. Not one Sunday was missed, which is apparently a rarity. This is due largely to the coordination efforts of Karen Vander Molen, Sandra Johnson, and Michelle Schmidt. All three deserve many thanks.
- The youth and adults of St. Alban’s prepared exam "survival" bags for the Episcopal students on campus. These included baked goods and cards, which the students greatly appreciated.
- The backyard bonfire pumpkin carving Halloween party.
- Canterbury cosponsored a "Mindfulness Day Hike" with Davidson Outdoors.
- Two Davidson students attended the 2014 Diocesan Convention with both voice and vote.
- We are now worshiping in the Oasis, a new space designated in the Alvarez Student Union for intentional religious causes. Our community meal that follows is in one of the multipurpose rooms in the Student Union.
- Morning prayer from the Book of Common Prayer is being held Monday through Thursday on campus in the Oasis.